Let’s talk about Canadian freedoms.
There are four fundamental freedoms outlined in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
- freedom of conscience and religion
- freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
- freedom of peaceful assembly
- freedom of association
Let’s dive in quickly to see if any of these freedoms have been taken away from Canadians.
- Canadians continue to have the freedom of holding their own convictions and religion. This freedom has not been taken from us.
- Canadians continue to have the freedom to their thoughts, beliefs, opinions, and expression. This freedom is permitted so long as it does not infringe on people’s equality rights – namely to be free of discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, and sex.
- Canadians continue to have the freedom of peaceful assembly. We all have the right to protest.
- Canadians continue to have the freedom of association. This freedom allows Canadians to join others to pursue their constitutional rights or freedoms. Freedom of association protects group activities that an individual cannot perform by themselves.
Let’s talk about the occupations in Ottawa and across Canada.
Initially, these people were allowed to come to Ottawa because all Canadians have the freedom to protest in peaceful assembly. However, this is not peaceful; they have wreaked havoc and are most notably known for being bigots, racists, and if they had any real powers, tyrants. (Wanting to start their own non-elected government and open their own banks). Ok, there.
Clearly the method taken by the occupiers is that they will not leave until their demands are met. Their occupation has been violent, resulting in several criminal arrests.
Those who support this self-named “Freedom Convoy”: Take a look. Take a really good look.
Are these the kind of people you want to be associated with? The white supremacist organizers preyed on Truck Drivers to do the majority of their bidding. It’s not about the mandates on international border crossings for these folks as those who do not wish to get vaccinated have been re-routed to domestic routes.
Protest 101 tip – make sure you know who the organizers are, what the money being raised is supporting, and what the actual protest is about.
We all have our freedoms in Canada. Nothing has been taken away from us.